Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Ideas for celebrating OL of Guadalupe Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

Below is the text of a document I wrote summarizing many of the ideas I have or have found for celebrating the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. I hope it is helpful. If you would like to receive the document by email in a PDF format, PM me and I can send it to you.

Our Lady of Guadalupe
                                       December 12

Explanation:

* The Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe commemorates the Blessed Mother’s appearance to Juan Diego, a Chicemec Indian, in Mexico on December 9, 10, and 12, 1531.

* The story of Our Lady of Guadalupe and her appearances to Juan Deigo are told in the beautiful picture book Our Lady of Guadalupe by Tomie dePaola.

* A more complete explanation including the words Our Lady spoke to Juan Diego can be found at: www.sancta.org

* Our Lady of Guadalupe is the protectress of the Americas, children and the unborn.

* A lovely reflection on Our Lady of Guadalupe (from the bulletin of The Church of St. Joseph in West St. Paul, MN):

In appearing to Juan Diego, Our Lady addressed him as
“Juanito” (signifying the weakest or smallest member of
the family) and as “Son.” She spoke of herself as both
his “Mother” and the “Mother of the One, True Living
God.” Today she addresses us with the same words she
addressed Juan Diego: “Hear and let it penetrate your
hearts, my dear little ones. Let nothing discourage you,
nothing depress you; let nothing alter your heart or your
countenance. Do not fear vexation, anxiety or pain. Am I
not here, your Mother? Are you not in the folds of my
mantle, in the crossing of my arms? Is there anything
else that you need?”

Some facts about the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe as it appears on the tilma:

* The image of Our Lady of Guadalupe is the only true depiction of Mary - given directly by her to us.

* When she appeared to Juan Diego, she was with child as evidenced by the black belt around her waist. This belt was worn by Aztec Indian women when they were with child.

* The stars on Our Lady’s Mantel are an exact depiction of the constellations in the sky on December 12, 1531, the date of Our Lady’s final appearance to Juan Diego.

* Several images can be seen reflected in the eyes or our Lady - Juan Diego, Bishop Juan de Zummaraga, and Juan Gonzales, the interpreter.

* The design on her rose colored garment is a contour map of Mexico showing the place where the apparitions took place.

Activities:

* Read Our Lady of Guadalupe by Tomie dePaola

* Make paper roses out of tissue paper and pipe cleaners

* Make a Juan Diego craft. Using Tomie dePaola’s book Our Lady of Guadalupe, make 1 photocopy of the illustration of Juan Diego as he appears.  Make a second photocopy of Juan Diego covering up the picture of Our Lady so that the copy comes out with no image on the tilma. Cut the blank tilma out of the second photocopy. Place the cut out tilma over the copy of Juan Diego and tape it along the bottom of the tilma. (It will look like Juan Diego has on a plain tilma) Place rose stickers on the inside of the cut tilma so that when it falls open, you see roses. (this is from Elizabeth Foss's website) 

* A coloring page of Our Lady of Guadalupe can be found at www.domestic-church.com

* Another coloring page can be found at www.tiredtwang.blogspot.com. Look in the sidebar under Coloring Pages.

* If you discuss the images reflected in Our Lady’s eyes, let the children make God’s eyes and hang them up around the house. You probably made God’s eyes at camp. Place 2 sticks in the shape of a cross and then wrap yarn around the sticks either clockwise or counterclockwise.

* Make a miniature Our Lady of Guadalupe grotto. You can make your own with a shoe box, popsicle sticks, or an Altoids tin or you can buy the lovely kit compiled by Illuminated Ink and available at Leaflet Missal or on-line.

Decorations:

* The liturgical color for today is either purple (advent) or white (Marian feasts).

* As an alternative to the liturgical colors you could decorate your table with the vibrant colors of Mexico. Pull out all your colorful non-matching cloth napkins and plates and celebrate.

* Consider using red roses for a center piece and/or placing them on your home altar. If you made paper roses, you could use them instead.

* Inexpensive Our Lady of Guadalupe candles can be purchased in the ethnic food sections of major grocery stores.

* Small inexpensive figures of Our Lady of Guadalupe can be purchased at religious goods stores, most Mexican grocery stores, and on-line.

Food:

* Have a Mexican feast - nachos, burritos, tacos, refried beans, spanish rice, etc.

* Catholic Cuisine always has great feast day recipes - www.catholiccuisine.com

Music:

* Matins for the Virgin of Guadalupe by Ignacio Jerusalem and sung by Chanticleer. Matins is a service performed shortly after midnight consisting mostly of chanting. This is a lovely CD which has a classical music sound. It is available through the St. Paul Public Library.

* El Milagro de Guadalupe by the San Antonio Vocal Arts Ensemble. This is an exquisite CD of music written mostly by Nahua and Aztec Indians who had converted to Christianity and who were musically trained by Spanish missionaries. A wonderful way to introduce children to the richness of a different musical style.

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Thank you for including my coloring page in your list of activities. One other thing we like to do is create our own starry mantle, like Mary's. We use a disposable blue or green tablecloth from the party store and decorate it with foil stars. The kids went through a package of about 200 stars I think last year and covered the thing. Even the littlest can have fun with this! We also get some rose candles and float them in glass bowls for decoration.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

pixilated_momma
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote pixilated_momma

Thanks for sharing this!

Also, be sure to check if your church has a Mass in Spanish ... Our church has a huge Mexican community, so we'll be heading to all the Guadalupe celebrations they are having on Dec. 12. Fun!

Back to Top View pixilated_momma's Profile Search for other posts by pixilated_momma Visit pixilated_momma's Homepage

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

We love, love, love your coloring pages Charlotte! The starry mantle is a great idea!

Vee, we also have a large Mexican community in our town and hope to go to Mass at Our Lady of Guadalupe church on either Friday night or Saturday.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bumping....

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Bumping

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version